3.11.2009

Cracked Crockery

I get satisfaction from using things that may be old or look worn, but are imbued with a sense of history. Even if the object is broken and can no longer fulfill the function to which it was created, I like refashioning a purpose for them. A cup with a broken handle can take care of my collection of pens, or drawers with missing knobs can be an organizer caddy. I find the inherent beauty of an object isn't necessarily marred by imperfection.

When I visited Japan a few years ago, I saw beautiful pottery and ceramics in museums with gold veins in them. I later found out that the Japanese mend the cracked or chipped pieces using gold lacquer, which highlights the cracks, instead of hiding them. The repaired pieces not only retained its original aesthetics, but now has new life injected into it. What I also like about the idea is that the pieces now bear a visible record of its history.

cracked-crockery-ornamented-life01
cracked-crockery-ornamented-life02
cracked-crockery-ornamented-life03

And that's why these lovely Cracked Crockery by Ornamented Life are especially lovely in my eyes. Chips and cracks in old dinnerware are filled with gold, from whence hand-made enamel floral transfers grow. How wonderfully poetic.


No comments:

blog disclaimer:


Please be advised that a couple of archived posts could be considered adult in the sense that it shows nudity, albeit minimally and in an artistic sense.